Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Permanent Visa

I have a very good advice to those who want to apply for Permanent Visa to Brazil. DONT!
I have probably been a bit naiv when I started the process of gaining my Permanencia (Permanent Residence Visa) to Brazil. The process have showed that there is no sure way to bypass the beuracracy. Each time I have showed up at Policia Federal, I have lacked one paper, or the last paper I was lacking need to be translated or authenticated. I have lost count of the times I have traveled to Policia Federal, which have its office on the border between Villa Velha, Vitoria and Cariacica.
But today marked a change in the process. The last document that needed translation was handed to me this morning (after finding the right house in Vitoria, but with good directions I managed that easily), and all the documents and the aplication was handed over to Policia Federal. After a short wait I received a declaration, a stamp in my passport and a protocolo, a document with refference number to the application. The Policia Federal informed me that it might take up to 2 years before the Permanencia is entered into my passport, because all the documentation will be checked by the Imigration Authorities and they will also investigate my life situation.
This opens many doors for me, so the next few days will be busy with finding the right offices, and apply for all the other necessary documents for a residence of Brazil. I will need a CPF, an ID card, a Brazilian drivers license, and a workers ID.
CPF is a ID number used for opening bank accounts, accuiring telephone number, water connection, energy connection, buying things to be transported to the house, renting cars, renting hotel rooms, buying stuff on down payments, signing documents. Basically, without CPF you are handicapped.
The ID card is the usual document to prove your CPF, but is also necessary when traveling in certain areas of the country, or when travelling with companies who send in passenger lists for passenger safety.
A worders ID allows me to require points for retirement, in other words I can get a pension from Brazil when I retire.
How long time it will take before everything is organized I do not know, but at least the ball is rolling now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish you the very best luck!

Btw: I'm here from Kenneth's as he virtually introduces us in his last post. It's great to meet an expat Norwegian and you really have a readable blog.

Seams like you are living over there for the same reason my American wife whom I met on the net 10 years ago lives with me in Norway :-)

Wishing you A Happy Easter Holiday!

Betty Boom said...

Fuck The System!!!!